Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Just in case my dedication to the bikey lifestyle was in doubt...

New ink, as of two Fridays ago:

If I had put bacon in there, it would have all three of my most favorite things in the world.

So what's up in The Greatest City in America, you ask? Well, it's been hot. So hot that I almost considered giving up the bike for a week or so but... no, couldn't do it. Just the thought of having to leave the house a whole ten minutes early, then being interrupted in my reading by the light rail bull every five minutes to make sure I've bought a ticket (and seriously, Baltimore, come up with a better system already. In Pittsburgh you had to buy your ticket on the train and honestly that makes a lot more sense to me), and THEN having to wait for ANOTHER train on the way home. Point is, I think I made the right call. Although I did make the sacrifice of putting a bottle cage on my hybrid. I hate the way they look, but when the temperature's cracking a century, looks ain't worth a hill of beans.

I recently discovered a little tip that makes riding in 90+ temperatures slightly more bearable and even though I didn't know about it when it was really bad, at least I'm discovering it now. Cycle chic fans will hate me for this, but the secret is: men's boxer briefs. (Under your dresses or skirts.) Originally I was wearing nothing, but wound up getting terrible saddle sores and had the saddle pressing on me in all the wrong places. Then I graduated to wearing women's athletic shorts under my skirts*, but they were much too hot. I pinged to using boxers when putting away my husband's drawers and damn, do these things ever work! No saddle sores, no inadvertent flashing (not that I really care about that), and the cotton breathes like the poly blend athletic shorts never could. Yeah, it looks super dumb when you're off the bike, but again, hot weather + ease of use = don't give a crap. I'm using the Hanes brand. Maybe they make a "women's" version of boxer briefs but if they do it probably comes at half the durability and twice the cost. So dude panties it is!


*Taking off the skirt never occurred to me; I hate dressing multiple times throughout the day. If I lived in the desert or Florida or something, maybe I'd feel differently. But in Maryland? And with a half-hour commute? Just make clever use of layers, put on some deodorant, and deal with it.

3 comments:

  1. I'll take man-panties under advisement. We live in Phoenix now and I'll be pedaling around in a dress (sometimes combined with light rail) to school and my field placement. Not more than a couple of miles in any directions but when the temps are over 100 it doesn't take long to be overheated. A dress is definitely they way to go. I've wondered about bike shorts but worried about getting overheated. Maybe I'll try a pair of my husband's undies and just not tell him??? That's not wrong is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The author shares their recent tattoo, emphasizing their dedication to the biking lifestyle. They also discuss coping with hot weather during their bike commutes, revealing a helpful tip about wearing men's boxer briefs under skirts for comfort. Despite the unconventional approach, they prioritize practicality over style, highlighting the importance of staying cool and comfortable during summer rides.

    Saiful Huda

    ReplyDelete